Saturday, April 30, 2011

Poem #28: A Diary of Sins

I've written down the things I'm not proud of
and laid them out for you in a neat little line.
You might think this puts a distance between myself and these acts
but that's not the way I see it:
speaking is quick and thoughtless --
I just make my tongue and lips work in the way I've rehearsed
but writing, writing is a slow thing that demands your attention.
You can't put something to paper without meaning it,
and I've meant all the words you'll find there.
So, if you please, write my absolutions in the second half,
tell me that God's grace is with me and that he still finds me fit.
But choose your words carefully, Father. I'll know if they're thoughtless
and there is nothing worse than committing sins not worthy
of your full attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment